Women in Tech Careers


I recently read a post on Reddit on r/womenintech. I actually agree with the comment that got downvoted that said her preamble was too long and too focused on building up emotion. 

It's something women tend to do and that emotional focus pushes things into "personal" territory. That's likely why he interrupted her: To cut to the chase and end the conversation because he doesn't want a personal relationship to his female coworker.

Not to say it's all her fault. Just to say that women are prone to certain speech patterns associated with certain things, largely because we get raised that way.

She may well have gotten a different result if she had said something more like:

"I am hearing (project we hate) is canceled. Official announcement should come soon."

Optional: You can add something touchy feely at the end like "I'm personally very happy about it."

Focusing on The Feels is a "personal relationship" thing. Professional relationships intentionally minimize that element. 

I write about my general hypothesis on this site that women get raised to have personal lives and men get raised to have professional lives. In a nutshell, women still largely get raised to be wives and moms.

I still have bad habits I'm working to break in that regard, though it happens less than it used to. So I'm not blaming women.

I'm saying: If women want equality, women need to focus on personal responsibility and changing what's in their control and THEIR behavior is much more directly in their control than what a zillion men do.

The current overarching trend involves a lot of man bashing and acting like "men need to change" and ONLY men. This is extremely disempowering of women and actively reinforces the current cultural paradigm that women can't exercise real power, only men can, and women only exercise power by getting some man to do something because women are all helpless victims.

No, I'm generally not welcome on forums like r/womenintech where most members seem to want to blame men and whine and complain rather than ask "Is there something I could have done differently from my end?"

But I don't really care because I have no plans to participate on r/womenintech. Although, I have a Certificate in GIS from the best GIS institution on the planet and I know a little html and css, I don't think anyone on planet earth would describe me as a woman in tech.

Ergo, I'm not the target audience even though my position on Hacker News has gotten me invited to a few forums of that sort. I don't really fit and I know from long experience most women don't really like my take on such issues, so there's no point in participating. 

I have heard that liontamers make damn sure they don't ever stand below one of their big cats with their back to it because a big cat will pounce and kill them. The cat may be sad afterwards because it was probably fond of him but the liontamer will still be dead.

If you are a woman and want a real career and you know it will involve dealing with men regularly, you will likely get farther, faster if you stop whining about men and their bad habits and get with the gal in the mirror and try to figure out what she can do differently that will get less of that.

Any men reading this: Next time, ask her to just get to the point rather than assuming it's a personal news thing. Assume it's a verbal bad habit.

You will get less hate from the whiny psychobitches who want a real career and to be paid like a man while acting like the helpless little wifey at work who needs a man to do everything and eager to drag you on Reddit -- knowing you could be reading it, but stupid is as stupid does -- to get social reinforcement from other man-bashing, whiny bitches who think that if enough whiny bitches publicly agree, it will actually change things.