The Hypothesis

This is a space for me to explore my thoughts on the idea that women get raised to live very private lives as wives and moms and men get raised to live very public lives that revolve around their careers. I think as women the world over try to leave behind the expected role of wife and mom and venture forth to get careers, we have some things to sort out.

I don't think I have all the answers. I do sort of think I'm at least asking the right questions.

I think the long history of raising women to be wives and moms and men to have careers means that a lot of things we think of as feminine are really more like private life coded and a lot of things we think of as masculine are really more like public life coded. I'm trying to more effectively make those distinctions in order to try to make my life work better.

The question I am trying to answer is: How do you more effectively navigate the public sphere as a woman?

Previous pinned post: Assertiveness