Mawwiage

I liked the movie Deceived. Kind of like The Bourne Identity, the plot revolves around someone switching identities but it's told from the perspective of his wife whom he deceived and victimized.

It's a psychological thriller but the wife is played by Goldie Hawn, who is much better known for doing lighter stuff, like comedies. I read somewhere once that the public doesn't want to accept her as a "serious"/dramatic actress. They want her to stay true to what they dubbed her in her youth: The Giggle with the Wiggle.

Anyway, this climactic scene from the movie is very much a spoiler if you haven't seen the film, but I really love this scene so I'm including it here anyway.


"Here. Take it."

Goldie Hawn is like 19 or 20 years older than me. She was married in her youth to two different men for a few years each and has been with Kurt Russell since 1983 without marrying him.

While gays were fighting for the right to marry so they couldn't be simply thrown out into the street by the greedy, homophobic relatives if their partner died, career women have been battling to figure out how to not have their hopes and dreams insidiously crushed by the weight of societal expectations.

Hawn's solution seems to be "I can love this man, but I don't know how to be me and be married, so I'm not doing that again." She's great.

First of all, no one should see the moniker The Giggle with the Wiggle as insulting. Women have a tendency to be forced to be one dimensional, so you get to be EITHER the funny girl OR the hot girl but not both.

She was recognized as being BOTH hella funny and hot as hell at an early age and that's a significant thing in its own right and never mind how the public balks at accepting her as ALSO a dramatic actress. Frankly, I think she is a serious actress even without that.

I really like the movie Housesitter which I think has a much deeper message than people seem to give it credit for. It's a movie about using your imagination to actually shape your life creatively and not just as something "fun." (Bonus points for the way it includes homeless people in the plot.)

Women are often insufficiently leery of the ways in which social expectations predispose them to be disempowered by heteronormative relationships that err on the side of expecting women to do the women's work and support his career and be content to play second fiddle.

So Hawn broke ground for probably a lot of women, if nothing else by providing food for thought concerning how much marriage can be a problem for a woman who wants a career. If you are a woman, you need to be leery of the damage that marriage can do to your own dreams and career aspirations and not just naively assume it's all upside.

She did that without blaming men or hating on men or bitterly being all "I'm just going to be ALONE!," which is pretty remarkable. She seems to frame it as "I can't do this dance and I give up." without making it a big political thing of "and I expect OTHER PEOPLE to decry the institution of marriage TOO so I can feel like it's NOT ME."

Maybe someday we will have shed some of our social expectations that make marriage an active threat to the careers of so many women. We aren't there yet, but it's probably better than it was decades ago thanks in part to the choices of women like her.

I also like her daughter, Kate Hudson. I watched some movie, maybe Le Divorce, because I was like "Oh, that's Goldie Hawn's daughter. She probably has more than her mother's good looks. She probably has talent too." and I checked that out and I've watched other films with Kate Hudson because, yes, she also has talent.