The Body Politic

Cyburbia was the first male dominated forum I joined. It was also the first forum I joined with professional goals in mind because it's a forum for urban planners and I wanted a career in urban planning.

A number of people there were open about their personal lives, including being into BDSM and/or having an open marriage and so forth. And there was a certain amount of flirtation and kidding and the like.

At some point, it came out that I was facing a divorce and sometime after that two single males "jokingly" dared me to post a nude of myself for some reason. It was a case of one thing leads to another in terms of how the conversation got there.

I didn't feel it was intentionally sexist pig behavior or intentionally a "gotcha." Nonetheless, I read it as a damned if I do, damned if I don't moment once the conversation arrived there.

In my view: If I didn't post a nude, I would lose because I couldn't back up my big mouth. If I did post it, I would lose because I would be agreeing to be just a piece of ass and no one to be taken seriously.

Ultimately, I created an avatar out of a very carefully edited black and white nude silhouette of my upper body with nipples carefully airbrushed out. I felt that was the only winning move -- living up to the dare without revealing so much as to agree to be nothing but a piece of ass.

After about six weeks of my tits being carefully sort of but not quite on display, most of the other women members updated their avatars to be more serious and professional and less slutty. They also began having opinions of their own instead of merely cooing at all the men about how brilliant their opinions were.

At that point, I felt I had won and I removed my tits from the internet.


I'm not sorry

It didn't really cure Cyburbia of its sexist garbage. It mostly taught me to refuse to let men treat me that way in professional spaces and to be more proactive about not giving them openings for such garbage.