Commitment

I've never seen the movie, but I love the imagery used to convey signed in blood in the above clip. It reminds me of some things I said years ago on a homeschooling list to the effect that if you will sign in blood and not ask the price ahead of time, you can do damn near anything.

Most people don't really commit to anything. Most people seem to spend their lives Waiting for Godot.

If you don't know the literary reference: Godot never shows up. The movie Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael is sort of a modern remake of the story.

While in therapy in my twenties, I dreamed that I was standing in line at a laundromat. Someone in charge of the laundromat took me to the front of the line so I could do my laundry immediately, skipping ahead of everyone else. This got me dirty looks from everyone else even though half the machines were empty, so there really was no reason anyone should have been waiting.

At some later date, I had some similarly themed dream. I dreamed that I was in a waiting room at a hospital and my name got called and people who had been waiting longer than me glared at me like I had done something wrong and bad.

I asked them "Did you actually sign in?" No, they hadn't. They were just sitting in the waiting room. Waiting.

In my teens, I was a girl gamer. I played DnD and various other role playing games. I was usually the only girl there, so quite a few of the guys were interested in me and I later heard that when I first showed up people were laying bets as to who would end up with me.

The future ex was one of my gamer buddies and he and I graduated high school together. We first slept together about two weeks before our high school graduation.

My recollection is that I graduated three days before my eighteenth birthday. A calendar tells me I turned eighteen on a Tuesday and three days before that was a Saturday.

We celebrated our graduation by getting with our gamer buddies that weekend. One guy who gamed with us about once a month because he lived in a different city showed up that weekend for the express purpose of being there to help us celebrate.

It had been a month since I had seen him. He was clearly crestfallen to learn that I was now sleeping with the future ex as of two weeks earlier.

He arranged to take me with him to do the evening snack run so we could be alone for a few minutes and he delicately asked me a few questions, ascertaining that I was now involved and yadda without directly expressing his own interest.

I could read between the lines, so it wasn't lost on me that the subtext was that this friend in his mid-twenties had hoped to date me now that I was graduated and about to turn eighteen. But I wasn't savvy enough to say something like "You are making a lot of unfounded assumptions about how serious this very new relationship is."

He then dropped it, having really only gotten sort of half truths in response to his biased questions, yet still concluding I was already spoken for. The reality is that it would be another roughly six months before I was "spoken for."

In fact, I was feeling very deeply insecure -- having only days earlier been subjected to the future ex whining at me for two hours about how he had lost his one true love and would never get over her -- and I spent my entire marriage feeling like the also ran who only got the guy because the woman he really wanted rejected him. Suffice it to say the beginnings of my very argumentative, likely doomed-from-the-start marriage were very rocky.

I have sometimes wondered how my life might have gone had this other gaming buddy told me one month earlier that he hoped to take me on a date the weekend I graduated high school. Or if he had otherwise somehow been a hair more aggressive about actually pursuing me instead of throwing in the towel so readily over the detail that I had already had sex a few times with the future ex.

Of course, there can be good reasons to hesitate to commit to a thing and this fairly brief blog post doesn't cover all contingencies. It should not be construed as suggesting that signing in blood without asking the price is always the right thing to do.