Old Eggs

In my youth, I read a lot of books trying to sort out my relationship to the world as a woman who wanted more out of life than just being a homemaker, which was the role I was in for a long time and often felt "stuck" in it. Most of the titles are long since forgotten.

One such book with a title long since forgotten was by a woman who had chosen to pursue a serious career and I think never married and certainly never had children. She made her life work as someone breaking ground in an era when serious careers were not the norm for women in part by spending a lot of time talking with a therapist.

When she was forty years old or so, she kept complaining to her therapist about how old she was and at some point her therapist gave her push back on that. What was she supposedly "too old" for?

Eventually, she blurted out that she had old eggs -- that she had never had children and it was too late to have children. She was too old for that because she was forty or forty two or something.

Due to the epiphany in that conversation, she decided to adopt and ultimately adopted two little girls from China, first one and then later a second, I believe. She had enough career success and enough money and otherwise had her act together enough to be approved as a single parent, if I recall correctly.